Translate

Wednesday 12 March 2014

The Full Monty


          This was very much a spur of the moment buying of a ticket. It had been a while since id seen a show and when I saw this was coming back to the London stage I went ahead and got myself a seat. I saw the film on television back in the late 1990s/early 2000s. It was released in 1997 but I know I saw it on the television rather than in a cinema. To be totally honest I only remember certain aspects in the film mainly about the story rather than the performances of the actors. I will say though that after seeing this production I will definitely be watching the film again.

          When seeing the show the very first thing you will probably notice is nothing to do with the show at all, but about the audience. Its mainly groups of women between the ages of 35 to 60. There are a few groups of gay men and the occasional husband and wife, but the audience is most definitely groups of woman. certainly when I went most of these woman had been drinking before the show. How do I know? Well it wasn't that difficult to notice their inebriation. For a while it was fun but after a while, especially during the performance, there constant talking behind me did get annoying. I'm not saying its a given that this will happen at every performance, but just prepare yourself. I was sat a little closer than half way back in the stalls and just three seats in from the edge of the seating. One might assume that this would really effect the view, but I must say my seat was fairly close to perfect.

          The set was brilliant. It stayed exactly the same throughout the production, however with certain lighting and the adding or movement of extra minor elements they managed to journey to a variety of locations. A long winded sentence, I know, but I hope you get the idea. The basis of the set was the interior of the steel works factory where the main male characters all work/worked. From the moment the lights and safety curtain went up, there was almost a universal intake of breath. I really have to commend the work of both the designer, Robert Jones, and the lighting designer Tim Lutkin.

          The acting was definitely above average but I wouldn't say it was brilliant and faultless. Kenny Doughty, who plays the lead character of Gaz, was probably the best actor of the whole cast. With a knack for portraying emotion, even if a little over acted in places, and with good comic timing he creates an extremely well rounded character and was a joy to watch. Craig Gazey was also a joy, bringing a brilliant comic streak throughout the show. Kieran O'Brien was also brilliant with comic timing. He also played a lot more with/to the audience making one very aware you were part of a show and leaving one unable to get sucked into the show. Usually I would class this as an issue, but for this show it made it much more enjoyable. The main acting issue I had came in the form of Roger Morlidge. I'm not saying he was shot, but his performance wasn't the most stable and there were moments I felt he had forgotten lines and/or was feeling very self conscious on stage.

          I would definitely recommend everyone to see this show, though I am well aware it will appeal more to a female audience. If you want to go, you need to be quick. The show is only on for a limited season, which ends on 14 June 2014. After that it will be going on tour all over the UK, so check the website for details. Tickets and Info


 

No comments:

Post a Comment