Translate

Thursday 5 September 2019

Theatre From Down Memory Lane (1)

Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert

(Seen 15th December 2011)


          This review, the first of my 'A Show From Down Memory Lane' series, will look at Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert. This is mainly because it will once again be heading on a UK wide tour. It will be starting tonight, 5th September, in Dartford and finishing on the 23rd May 2020 in Cheltenham.

          Lets start with why out of everything I could have chosen to see, this was a show I decided on. I thank my parents for opening my eyes to a variety of cultural experiences when I was young. Live music, comedy, musical theatre, museums and art galleries. They also encouraged my sister and I to explore everything genre wise. Not to stick with what we knew or liked, but rather experiment and discover new things. This led to the occasion in my late teens when I discovered The Adventures Of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert, an Australian comedy-drama film from 1994. The basic plot of the film is: 

Two drag-queens, Mitzi and Felicia, and a transsexual, Bernadette, sign up to perform a show in Alice Springs. They head west from Sydney aboard a lavender bus named Priscilla, meeting some interesting characters along the way. When they arrive they find more than just a job lying in wait.

          I fell in love with this film from the moment I first watched it, and even now I'll watch it at least once a year. It even led me to watch an American film from 1995 called To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar. This film was fairly similar to Priscilla however was far less critically successful yet proved a lot better financially, making over $36million at the US box office (three times that of Priscilla). Priscilla has fantastic performances from the three main actors; Terence Stamp, Hugo Weaving and Guy Pearce. They seemed to perfectly fit the roles of Bernadette, Mitzi and Felicia respectively. I was immediately drawn into the film and find it a joyous watch every time. I was therefore ecstatic when I found out is was going to be made into a stage musical, though hesitant as I loved the film and didn't want it ruined. I decided I just had to see the show to find out, but I needn't have worried.

          I was sat in row C of the Grand Circle surrounded by a load of OAPs (old age pensioners) who, if my memory serves me right, had travelled in from Brentwood to see the show. It was also within the last two weeks of the shows run. The reason I saw it so late in the shows West End run was because this was in fact the first show I ever saw on my own, and so I had to build up the courage to take that leap of faith and purchase a ticket. Boy was I glad that I did. Full of songs that are dance floor classics, though completely different ones to the film, its such an easy show to sing along to. To open a show with three women, 'The Divas',  hang suspended high above the stage was a great way to grab the audiences attention. Just two songs in we were treated to a fringe covered drag queen singing What's Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner, hooking me and fellow audience members even more. Then just two songs later a scantily clad Felicia, performed perfectly by Oliver Thornton, was dancing around the stage with some rather attractive young men dressed in minimal clothing (which looked like it would be worn by male strippers doing a routine based on a Roman centurion). This only made me realise even more that we were in for a show unlike anything I'd seen before. This excited and intrigued me. Its no wonder that 8 years later its still a show that tours all over the world

          And the show just kept delivering. From eye catching costumes and jaw dropping sets it never once failed to keep my attention. I think I never stopped smiling. It has a message that really hit home with me, of acceptance and love. Yes it was a comedic romp through he Australian outback, but it also had a heart. One must really congratulate and draw attention to The Divas, who sing every song that the drag queens lip-sync to. The three of them have equal involvement in all the songs, and are fantastic at standing out while also fading into the background. You cant help but notice them whilst also forgetting that they're there. Standing atop the bus or descending from the ceiling, dressed in some outrageous costumes, they really are the unsung stars of the show.

          Onto the three main actors. As I was seeing the show towards the end of its run, I had replacements to the original cast. The role of Mitzi/Tick was played by Ben Richards, Bernadette was performed by Don Gallagher and Felicia/Adam was played by Oliver Thornton. All three of these actors were superb in their portrayals, and translated the characters from the film fantastically onto the stage. Oliver Thornton had been in the production and so had understandably grown into the character. As camp as Christmas and yet realistic as anything. You could tell he was having fun on stage and just letting out his inner diva. And who can blame him. The role of Felicia is, in my opinion, probably the most fun of the three main characters. With outrageous outfits and a sense of childishness it a role you can just overact and still not be over the top enough. Don Gallagher also bought complete and utter realism and believability to the role of Bernadette, an aging transsexual who is recently bereaved. I was completely transfixed by his portrayal and fell in love with her immediately. One couldn't help but feel compassion and hope that she reaches her full potential as a woman. I've very rarely felt such compassion to a character.

          With the introduction of every character we are met with confidence in who they are, however we learn that each and every one of them is protecting themselves. They have hidden layers of hurt both from others and with internalised hatred. They explore their emotion with us as an audience, and we get to see them grow and learn to love who they are. We as an audience are constantly presented with challenging content however we are fed it using a nonthreatening back drop of upbeat music. The show tries to break down the stereotypes that exist and demystify and humanise the historically demonised LGBTQIA+ community.

          The costumes were an absolute joy to behold. Due to the fact they are VERY over the top and camp (full of glitter, feathers and bright colours) one might assume they would distract from the performances, but this couldn't be further from the truth. They enhanced it. Constantly changing from scene to scene there was something new to look at, at every moment. The makeup was also phenomenal. Over the top yet realistic at the same time. And some of the quick changes are beyond beliefe (well unless you know how its done). They also were an extremely good representation of the would of drag queens. In 2019 as a write this many more people have developed a love and knowledge of drag queens, mainly thanks to the television show Ru Pauls Drag Race. Back in 2011 there had only been three series of the show, which had been broadcast on E4 in the UK. It simply hadn't gained the momentum and notoriety it now has. I however, at the age of 23, had some knowledge of this part of the LGBTQIA+ community. I know it was very much over playing and exaggerating certain aspects of the art form and the community, but it was 100% based of truths.

          I was tapping my feet throughout the whole show and, quietly enough so as not to disturb other audience members, singing along to every song. Its just a joyous evenings entertainment, that's light hearted while also having a serious message and hard hitting subject matter. Yes its set in Australia, but the story of people trying to find love and acceptance is universal. I will definitely be trying to see it while its on tour around the UK, and I encourage everyone to see it if possible. Your in for a fun night.




For information and to book tickets for the UK tour, please click here.


There are a number of tours happening around the world, as well as a production aboard the Norwegian Cruise Line (where a shorter version has been showing since 2015). Information on each production can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment