Translate

Sunday 28 April 2013

Singin' In The Rain


       I fell in love with Singin' In The Rain about 5 years ago when I first watched the 1952 MGM film, starring Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds. The performances of all three in the film I still find spellbinding. What I wasn't aware of until recently is that Gene Kelly was also the co-director as well as the choreographer on the film, and therefore one of the main driving forces behind it. For me the film has most definitely stood the test of time, as its one of the few films made before 1980 that I can actually watch and enjoy. Even in the modern age of HD, 3D and soon (if the rumours are true) 4D, it is still as fresh and interesting as it’s always been.

       Because of my love for the film, I was hesitant to see this production. My friend recommended it to me however last week, when I told him of my hesitation. I trust his judgement, so decided to bight the bullet and go. I'm so glad I did. I must say however that if you’re going thinking it’s going to outshine the film, you'll be disappointed. The production is great, but it could never compare to the large sets, sweeping camera shots and location shooting of the film.

       The Palace Theatre, where the show is on, has had an exceptional history with the shows it has housed. It has played host to, most notably, Jesus Christ Superstar, Les Mis and Spamalot. The last time I went however was in 2011 for one of the last performances of Priscilla Queen Of The Desert. The theatre, unlike most in London, the amount of gold in the decoration is almost non-existent. The main colours are grown and blue/green with the seats in what can only be called burgundy. This colour combination makes for a welcome change from the other theatres and gives a more relaxed atmosphere.

       When I went to see Priscilla I was in 15G of the Dress Circle. This time I was in 26F of the stalls. Both seats had great views though, as with most shows, sitting more towards the centre is always best. This is especially true for this production as action does occur on the edges of the stage. I would recommend being in the stalls and, if you want to be 'included' into the show a bit more sit as near to the front as you feel able. I was six roes back, but still got 'included' and it really added to my experience.

       The production is sublime, and stays exceptionally close to the film. Staying as true to the film as they did, means that it hasn't spoilt my love for the film. In fact I immediately wanted to watch the film as soon as I got home. The set is great, and although the main backdrop of the stage doesn't actually change, you still get transported to the different locations in which the show is set. The smoothness of scene changes was great, and the design of it overall and the ingenuity of some pieces must earn Simon Higlett the set designer, some congratulations.
       Adam Cooper and Louise Bowden as Don Lockwood and Kathy Selden were good, but the show was most definitely stolen by Stephane Anelli as Cosmo Brown and Zara Warren as Lina Lamont. As soon as Stephane started singing Make 'Em Laugh the whole audience loved him. Singing it brilliantly and having such wonderful comic timing, while performing a difficult routine is defiantly something that shouldn't be overlooked. All I could hear was people gasping and talking to each other every time he moved. You could tell it was tricky for him as he was extremely out of breath at the end. Lina Lamont is usually played by Jennifer Ellison, however she was unable to perform when I went to see it so her understudy, Zara Warren, took the role. Zara was phenomenal. How she is only an understudy I will  never know. Her performance was well constructed and her voice was, in its own was, sublime. Her rendition on What's Wrong With Me was one of the best I've heard, and had the audience in fits of laughter.
 
       The rain effect used during the title song, if your not sure the title of which is Singin' In The Rain, was fantastic. With over 7000 litres of water being used during the song, of which 2500 has to travel through a quarter of a mile of piping to fall from above, the scene was captivating. Yes, the rain starts rather suddenly and the noise of the rain machine starting did spoil the feel a little, but the overall visual effect is something that has to be seen.
 
       My initial reservations where totally unfounded and going to see the show proved that. If your not sure, GO! It is a great show for all ages. You need to hurry though, as it closes on 8th June. But don't fear. It then goes on a tour around the UK and Ireland, stopping in 16 different cities all the way until October 2014. Tickets and Info
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment