Translate

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Billy Elliot


       Billy Elliot has been entertaining audiences in London since 2005, but I've only just got around to seeing it. Its also currently touring in the US. There was one reason for this. Well two. Firstly, I've always felt that there has been something better to see when I went to see a show. Secondly I am a massive fan of the film made in 2000 and so, as with Singin' In The Rain or Beautiful Thing, I didn't want my love of the film to be spoilt. It wasn't, and I am so glad I went.

       The theatre, The Victoria Palace Theatre, has been the home of Billy Elliot from the beginning, and is a theatre I have never visited. AS with most London theatres is decorated opulently with red and gold. The seats a comfortable, but the leg room was a little lacking. I was sat in seat K7 in the Dress Circle, second row from the back. A reasonable view, though I would have liked to be a little closer. The view was brilliant, with only a few areas blocked (though this wasn't really important for the show). Normally I would advise you to sit as close to the middle as you can, but not here. Obviously the extreme edges of the seating and being to far back in The Grand Circle will affect you view and block areas of the stage. Any where else will be fine. The seats were mainly full of older people and teenagers, though there were a few families. This didn't surprise me and actually made for a nice atmosphere before the show.

       Billy Elliot is set in Britain during the miners strike of 1984/5, in a northern coal mining town. The story follows a young boy, Billy Elliot, as he discovers a love for ballet. We follow his struggles growing up as young boy with a love for dance, against the wishes of his widowed father and domineering brother. I wont go to into the story to much, as if you haven't seen the film (or the show) I wouldn't want to spoil it for you.

       For me the film was 10 times better. Not that the show was at all bad. The film had, in 2000, a budget of around £3million and the crew had the ability to use brilliant locations and studio sets. This obviously cant compare, no matter the budget, with a stage in a London theatre. The set is, however, fantastic, in fact shockingly good in places. The wonderful design by Ian MacNeil, transports you back to the 80's, helped wonderfully be Nicky Gillibrand's costume design and the lighting of Rick Fisher. It could quite as easily however be confused with a story taking place now as the sets and costumes seem to transcend any specific time and year. The main set piece doesn't really change, however parts of it move around, up, down, appear and disappear. It all happens with such fluidity that it doesn't interfere with any of the action going on around it. I'm sure that's due to the show running for 7 years. I just hope that it doesn't end up like Phantom where the team behind it appear to get complacent.

       For me, Billy will always be represented by the actor that played him in the film, Jamie Bell. Billy Elliot was Jamie's first film, and he has gone on to become a brilliant actor, being in films such as King Kong, Jumper and Tintin. With the stage production the role of Billy is shared between four young actors. When I went to see it I had the privilege of seeing Redmand Rance, a young 12 year old performer form Portsmouth. I must say he was exceptionally good, and was very close to being on an equal par to Jamie Bell. In the movie the role of Billy's best friend, Michael, was played by Stuart Wells. Unfortunately, due to enrolling in the army soon after the film was released, and only leaving it in 2008, we heard very little from him in the way of acting roles (mainly small TV roles and one film in 2003). On the stage the role is wonderfully played by Thomas Moore. At such a young age he is taking on a role that deals with homosexuality and cross dressing, but plays it with respect, wonderful comedic timing and a sense of playfulness.

       Although I would recommend seeing the film over the show, it isn't one to rule out. With wonderful musical numbers, written be the one and only Elton John, and a story line that is hart breaking and upbeat at the same time, its a show the family will love. Just be aware that there is a lot of swearing both by the adults and by the children. Tickets and Info

 

No comments:

Post a Comment