Translate

Monday 13 May 2013

Matilda

 
       I really do have to start this review by saying Matilda is probably one of the best, if not the best, musical in the West End I've seen. It's in close contention for the top spot with Pricilla Queen Of The Desert (which, by the way, is now on a tour in the UK and North America and is showing in Italy and Stockholm - Info)

       Matilda is showing in the Cambridge Theatre, which I feel is one of the best theatres in the West End. With a wonderful blue shell-like ceiling and wide swathes of seating, you get a brilliant view wherever you sit, even from the seats on the top level right at the back ,which for Matilda are £25, (you do miss some of the performance that takes place near the front of the stage). The red seating and blue surroundings of the theatre give a relaxing feeling and suite the performance which, being true to the book, is very much orientated to children and the young at heart. The theatre has most recently played host to productions including Chicago, Grease and Jerry Springer The Opera. All wonderful productions, and the theatre suited all of them.

       As you enter the theatre you are greeted by an empty stage, surrounded by books and illuminated letters covering the walls and ceiling of the stage and coming part way out into the auditorium. As soon I entered I was in awe. From the offset, with the opening number Miracle, you know your going to be in for a good time. The production team have made it wonderfully accessible to the whole family, but understandably its geared to a slightly younger audience. Some of the jokes throughout the show are infantile, juvenile or childish. It felt a bit stupid at first, but after a while I accepted its silliness and fell in love. It's what makes the show.

       There are 9 child roles in the show, which are shared by 29 performers. All of them are absolutely mind-blowing and I was in awe of all of them. I am sure they will all have brilliant careers in theatre. The role of Matilda is shared between 4 fantastic young ladies and when I went it was played by Lara Wollington. She was brilliant in her comedic timing and gave a wonderful childishness to the role that I don't think was present in the film Matilda, released in 1996 and staring Mara Wilson in the title role. The film, by the way, is one of my all-time favourites. The musical is, in my opinion 100% better. Lara is completely wonderful, though doesn't quite steel the show. That is done by David Leonard as Miss Trunchball. He adds a whole new femininity to the role that wasn't present in the film, which makes her much more of a human and realistic character. I'd go so far as to say even lovable. Of course, David still makes her a horrid and mean character who, as it says in the book has 'never been little'. Although every seat in the house has a good view, if you want to get the best experience with Miss Trunchball, and don't worry you wont be put in Chokey, you will need to sit in the stalls as close to the central isle as you can.

       In the 1996 film the two roles of Matilda's parents, Mr and Mrs Wormwood, were played brilliantly by Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman. In this production they are played by Steve Furst and Annette McLaughlin. Steve was brilliant and really added something to the role. He's had much character acting experience both on TV and on stage as he has, so I'm not surprised as to how good he was. I felt almost as though he was performing just to me. That is the sign of a good actor. Annette on the other hand I found disappointing. The mother is a wonderfully idiotic character with a mean streak running through her core. I actually found the performance rather lacklustre.

       As I stared off this post, this is one of the best shows I've ever seen in the West End and it is one that I would recommend the whole family seeing. Due to the cast of 29 children playing just 9 roles I'm definitely going to see it again, making sure it's someone different as Matilda. Who knows, it might be even better next time (though I find that hard to believe). Tickets and Info


If I could I'd give it more than 5. Oh screw it ..........

No comments:

Post a Comment