Translate

Sunday 29 March 2015

Gypsy


          I know I say this a lot, but I was really excited to see this show. I absolutely loved the 1993 film version, so ever since it was on at the Chichester Festival I've been wanting it to come to London. When it was announced that it was, well I just couldn't wait to get tickets. As I love the film version though I was a little worried that I might be disappointed.

          The Savoy Theatre is playing host to Gypsy and I think it's the perfect setting. The theatre, compared to others in London, has the feeling of being rather narrow. This makes it feel more like the sort of music hall venue where Momma Rose and her daughters would be performing. The seats are unfortunately a little uncomfortable and I found myself wriggling, trying to get comfortable. I was last in this theatre in 2012 for a production of Cabaret and I remember the same thing happening then. It also felt as though they had turned the heating up which didn't help. This may have been a clever ploy as almost everyone went out during the interval to buy a bottle of water.

          Gypsy is a musical based on the book Gypsy: A Memoir, the 1957 memoirs of Gypsy Rose Lee. For those who are unaware, she was an American burlesque entertainer. The musical first opened on Broadway in 1959 with Ethel Merman in the role of Momma Rose, the role that is played by Imelda Staunton in this production, and the role of Gypsy Rose Lee was played by Sandra Church, the role portrayed by Lara Pulver in this London production. The first London production didn't open until 1973, with Angela Lansbury in the role of Momma Rose. I've seen clips of all the West End and Broadway productions and to be honest its impossible to put one performance above any other. Each actress, in the role of Momma Rose as well as Gypsy, makes the part her own and brings something completely different to the role.

           A lot of young people, when they think of Gypsy, will be picturing the 1993 musical version staring Bette Midler in the role of Momma Rose. It was originally a television musical in the US, but was released in theatres in foreign markets. This is how I was first introduced to the story of Gypsy Rose Lee and I have no shame in admitting that I fell in love with it. Yes this was in part to an outstanding performance of the Divine Ms M, but also I found it an interesting and at times gripping story.

          Imelda is absolutely brilliant though in the role. I last saw her on stage in 2012 in a production of Sweeny Todd at the Adelphi Theatre. At the time most people, including myself, would have said 'She cant do any better than this. Its the best she's ever done'. People were saying that in the theatre all over again about her performance in Gypsy. If I'm being honest though I did feel her performance in Sweeny far better, but by no means am I saying her portrayal of Momma Rose is awful. Its anything but. The emotion that she's able to weave into her performance just tugs at your heart strings and holds your attention unlike anything I can remember. Saying that, that's the case for the whole cast. You can tell that they are all putting 100% into their performances and are thoroughly enjoying what they do. There was one more stand out performance for me. Well three. The three strippers, sorry burlesque dancers, at the club who sing 'You Gotta Get A Gimmick'. These three women were fabulous. Couldn't keep my eyes off them. Julie Legrand, Anita Louise Combe and Louise Gold just embody their characters. One can almost believe these characters are indeed real and have been doing it for decades. I think the whole audience just instantly fell in love with them. I cant praise these three woman high enough and its just a shame they don't have more time on stage. Someone give these characters their own show.

          Unfortunately I cant praise the show completely. There were a few improvements that I feel are needed. Set moving. I've said in the past, and I'll say it again, I cant stand hearing set move be it behind a curtain or just in a darkened part of the stage. Just have to read my Phantom Of The Opera review to find that out. unfortunately I could here set pieces moving. Not all the time, admittedly, but that made every time I did here it just that little bit worse. There also seemed to be a few times that the changing of set pieces was a little slow. I'm sure this will improve with time. I also wasn't overly keen on Lara Pulver as Louise. I mean she's a good actress and she has a decent voice, but for some reason she just didn't fit into the role for me. I also have to say I really wasn't a fan on Peter Davison as Herbie. He really cant sing and just seemed really uncomfortable. This may be because he is a new addition to the cast. The show opened in the West End after a successful run at Chichester Festival in 2014. In that production the role of Herbie was played by Kevin Whately and from what little I've seen of his performance it was a lot better than Peter's. I'm sorry he was unable to be in the London run. Hopefully Peter will grow into the role and his chemistry with the rest of the cast will improve from his current status of non-existent.

          I'm sorry to have left this review on such a sad note, and don't want readers to come away with the wrong impression. I loved this show. It was brilliant and I would urge everyone who can to go and see this show before it closes. I know to a lot of people it may seem like I shouldnt give a full five stars as I've been critical of a lot of aspects of the show including two of the main characters. However I'm sure, as I said, a lot of the issues I had with the show were down to it still being in the early stages of its run and I'm more than certain they'll be ironed out soon. Also, as critical as I've been, I did have a thoroughly good night and enjoys myself immensely. If I did half stars for reviews I'd only give 4 1/2 but as I don't I couldn't bring myself to knock of a whole star.

A fun night out full of toe tapping hits and brilliant performances. Tickets and Info here.

No comments:

Post a Comment