Translate

Saturday 21 March 2015

Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown


          Just with the last show I went to see, My Night With Reg (my review here), the subject of the play seemed like an absolute flop for a West End show let alone a musical. Who wants to watch someone having a nervous breakdown? Not me. I think I should say though that I have never seen the film that this show is based upon so I went in with a completely open mind. The reviews have also been great. Official London Theatre said 'Comedy Musicals Don't Get Much Better Than This' and The Times called it 'Funny And Tender'. Also I know the main actress, Tamsin Greig, more as a TV and film actress, even though she has done a fair amount of live theatre, so I couldn't resist the opportunity of seeing her live.

          The show is on at the Playhouse Theatre. A small little theatre that I remember going to only once before, for Spamalot back in 2013 (my review here). I was sat the row C of the stalls, a lot than I like, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good my view was. Only one or two times did I feel like I was tilting my head back to look up at the stage. The audience was very mixed which is something I always like to see. There weren't really any families but that didn't completely surprise me.

          Set in Spain in the late 1980’s, the musical tells the story of the messy love lives of several women. The central character is Pepa, played by Tamsin, who struggles after being dumped by her boyfriend. The plot thickens as her boyfriends ex wife, Lucia and their son, Carlos, along with his fiancĂ© show up. Pepa’s best friend, Candela, also believes she is dating a terrorist. When you think about it, actually yea, this could prove a night of laughs.

          My God was it. It was so funny. Now I'm not talking belly laughs but it definitely made me smile. It was clever, funny and a brilliant observation of life. Similar in a way to how My Night With Reg was. Candela, played by Anna Skellern, was really a bit over the top at times but never in a way that I felt spoilt the show. I've also seen clips of the actress Laura Benanti who originated the role on Broadway back in 2010. This whole overacting of the character seems to be the norm, but I still cant help but think it comes across a bit stupid sometimes. Haydn Gwynne as Lucia was brilliant. She played evil very well, but still made this mad character completely lovable. She also sings her song, Invisible, brilliantly. Such an emotional song and she completely tugged at my heart strings. Tamsin is also sublime. She completely embodies the character and really shows her struggles exceptionally well. the were plenty of opportunities for her to overact, but she never took the bait.

          I have to also say that I felt Hayden and Tamsin portrayed the characters for better than Patti LuPone and Sherie Rene Scott who originated the roles. Ricardo Afonso is also an absolute pleasure to watch. he just oozes Spanish flair and sex appeal. Some people may recognise him as he was a contestant on the 2013 series of The Voice UK. He plays the taxi driver who is also the narrator of the story. He opens the show with the song Madrid, which completely sets the scene for the play. Whenever he was on stage I just couldn't take my eyes off him. I was disappointed by Michael Matus however. He was playing the role of Ivan instead of Jerome Pradon. He seems very uncomfortable and actually he came across more like someone from an armature dramatics group than someone on the West End stage. This was made even more clear when he started singing his solo song, Yesterday Today And Tomorrow. This is odd as he's been in many theatre productions.

          The music and dancing in this production are absolutely phenomenal. David Yazbek and Ellen Kane have to be congratulated. The really get Spain across and they are songs that just make you smile. Yes they aren't the easiest songs to remember lyrics of, but you cant help but enjoy them in the theatre. Its one of those musicals where every song is good. I feel like that very rarely happens. The choreography and music just transport you to Spain. The costumes are also brilliant. Caitlin Ward has done a brilliant job sticking closely to the costumes of the film, but also modernising them slightly. They fit brilliantly with the personalities of the characters and make them even more believable. In parts it was almost like you were the fly on the wall of the situation.

          This is an absolutely fantastic show, and I would recommend anyone to go and see it. Yes a younger audience might not get some of the more complex subjects, jokes and observations but they'll still enjoy it. You need to be quick though at its only in the West End until the beginning of May. Go go go!! Tickets and Info

No comments:

Post a Comment