Translate

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Book Of Mormon


       I think I need to start with South Park. I'm not an avid watcher of South Park, but I am a fan of the comedy style that practically flows from it's creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker. This was only expanded and cemented in the comedy cortex of my brain in 1999 with the release of the film South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. I wasn't 18 at the time and I am well aware that maybe the subject matter of both the film and the TV show were not the best for someone who wasn't even in his teens. If anyone has a problem with an 11 year old deciding, on his own, to watch such a film there is only one reply; ... all together now ... SHUT YOUR FUCKING FACE UNCLE FUCKER. In case anyone felt I was being offensive and that I've lost what little sanity I have left, this was a rather pathetic way of mentioning the most controversial, but also most loved, song of the whole film (the title of which is the same as the above insult in italics).

       With my love of Stone and Parker's comedy style festering deep in the hidden depths of my mind, it will come as no surprise that when I heard of their musical The Book Of Mormon I was as happy as a fox in a chicken coop. Being someone who finds it hard not to spend money as soon as I get some, I was without any finds to make my way to the U.S to see it. Arguing!!! Instead I made do with watching whatever clips I could find on the Internet. I would definitely not recommend this when going to the theatre. Do what I say, not what I do. Of course I was ecstatic when I heard the show was coming to London and as soon as I was able to, I booked a ticket. That was about 10 months ago, which is a long time to wait.

       Normally I like to either sit in the Stalls or in the first couple of rows of the Dress Circle when I go to the theatre. Due to the high demand for tickets, I was relegated to row J of the Dress Circle, which is fairly near the back. It was with great delight however that upon taking my seat at The Prince Of Wales Theatre, that it was far from being relegated. Due to the exceptionally steep incline of the Dress Circle row J actually had a fantastic view (seat 19 if your interested). I find it hard in fact to imagine that there are any bad seats in the circle at all.

       The plush decor in the foyer and bars instantly aloes you to relax and transport you back to the golden age of theatre, with the seats in the main auditorium being exceptionally comfortable. Its also relatively well priced in terms of drinks, snakes and merchandise which can only be good for ones wallet or purse.

       From the start I knew I was going to love it. With a brief explanation of the Mormon religion at the start, which is useful to people like me with little understanding of the religion, the story is set up nicely. This introduction also has a portrayal of Jesus that is wonderfully funny. I never thought I'd be saying this, but Jesus had the whole theatre laughing.

       The costuming was simple but affective as is the scenery, which through it's simplicity still allows you to enter the world portrayed on stage. The acting and comic timing of the whole cast, led superbly by Gavin Creel as Elder Price and Jered Gertner as Elder Cunningham, was absolutely fantastic. The only negative was that at one point the microphone of Alexia Khadime, who was playing Nabulungi, wasn't on for a couple of seconds. She had fantastic projection so even for those few seconds I could just about hear what she was saying. With the energy of those on stage consistent throughout, there wasn't even a brief moment of boredom.

       There are moments for me that are a 'little close to the mark', but that's what you expect really when you go to see the show. There are swear words a plenty, but again, this is something you should be expecting. I bought the CD of the show before I'd even seen it and I'm glad I did. The songs are, if there is such a thing, typically musical theatre. This contradicts the subtle message of the hardships of Africa (and the message certainly is subtle). Although at first it would appear that Stone and Parker are poking fun at the Mormon religion, this isn't the case. I think it is laughing WITH Mormons rather that at them. You only need to be aware of the fact that Mormons are flocking to see the show to understand that. In fact there a rumours that people who are just entering the religion are told to see it as part of there study. This laughing with rather than at is something Stone and Parker, though I'm sure they would disagree, have done throughout all their projects.

Book your tickets ASAP as no seats are available for a few months. Defiantly one to see with friends and/or family (though not young children) Tickets and Info

No comments:

Post a Comment