Translate

Saturday 9 March 2013

The Audience

I will fully admit that when reading about this play it didn't seem the most appealing to me. The official website describes it thus:
(The Audience) imagines a series of pivotal meetings between the Downing Street incumbents and their Queen. From Churchill to Cameron, each Prime Minister has used these private conversations as a sounding board and a confessional – sometimes intimate, sometimes explosive. From young mother to grandmother, these private audiences chart the arc of the second Elizabethan Age. Politicians come and go through the revolving door of electoral politics, while she remains constant, waiting to welcome her next Prime Minister
Politics has never been a subject that i find particularly thrilling, and so I really wasn't sure if I would enjoy this. Helen Mirren, once again portraying Queen Elizabeth II, is a fantastically talented actress, but is obviously limited be the script and subject matter. While sitting at my desk one day, I had a realisation. I absolutely loved The Queen (2006) and lets face it, that was a very political film. If I loved that film, what would stop me loving this play. Why also would I deny myself the opportunity of seeing Dame Helen perform. After all she has won an Academy Award, four BAFTAs, three Golden Globes, four Emmy Awards and two Cannes Film Festival Best Actress Awards. I would be a fool NOT to go. I booked my ticket at the end of January, for seat 7C in the balcony.

Last night I went to see the production and it was, in a word, AMAZING. I ended up sitting in seat 5C, for reasons I wont go into, and this had a slightly restricted view due to a handrail on the front of the balcony. I also was unable to see the far right of the stage. This didn't however ruin the play at all. I would have had a better all round view by sitting more towards the centre, so if you go I would recommend sitting as close to the centre of the seating as you can.

The theatre itself, The Gielgud Theatre on Shaftesbury Avenue, is great. It is a big theatre but, certainly from where I was, it felt quite intimate. The seats weren't the most comfortable and didn't have much leg room. The decor is amazing, with vast amounts of peach and gold adorning every wall. The staff are exceptionally friendly and very well presented. They were always asking if everything was OK, wishing me a good journey home and just generally making sure I was having a pleasant evening. I know that staff at other theatres do this, but I noticed it a lot more here. That isn't a bad thing.

The set for the play was simple, with two chairs and the occasional table or desk (and a two bar electric heater). There are just two back drops throughout the play ,due to it being set in just two locations. The backdrop used in the Buckingham Palace scenes has a fantastic illusion of depth and has an opulent appearance. The minimal changes made to the set during scene changes, more time changes really, allowed for a more flowing and immersive production. It also allowed for much more emphasis to be placed on the acting. The creative team behind this need to be congratulated.

The creative team behind the fantastic costumes and hair also need to be congratulated. The changes of hair and costume for Dame Helen mainly took part on stage. They took a matter a seconds and the transformative effects were fantastic. Helen Mirren goes from 2012 to 1952 to 2002 in the blink of an eye. The acting of the whole cast though I was left unimpressed, unfortunately, by Edward Fox.

Definitely one I'm going to try and see again. BOOK YOUR TICKETS NOW! You wont be disappointed. Tickets and Info

No comments:

Post a Comment