Translate

Saturday 16 March 2013

Quartermaine's Terms


       I didn't do much research into this play but was determined to see Rowan Atkinson. As far as I was concerned this was a serious play and I was going to be bored but dam it, I was going to see Atkinson. Because of my general lack of interest in the overall production I decided not to spend the sort of money I normally do when going to a show. In the end I spent just £37 and was sat in seat B15 in the top balcony.

       The entrance/foyer is deceptively small, as the theatre itself is massive (at least it felt like it was). After climbing a mass of stairs I arrived at the balcony level. As I walked along the back of the seats to find my B15, I was taken aback by the height at which I was sat. It almost felt like  a vertical drop and I would spend the whole time with my head bent down. As I sat down next to a rather nice American lady, hello Jan, I was bitterly disappointed to find my seat about as comfortable as being poked in the eye with a sharp stick. In fact on a number of occasions throughout the play my bum went numb.

       Although high, the seat had a relatively good view. The perspective of the stage did seem a little odd, but after a while I got used to it. Also as the seats are at such a steep angle (my feet were the same height as the shoulders of the people in the row in front of me, I had no obstructions to my view.

       The show itself is so witty and brilliantly acted. Its a masterclass in acting with its comic and tragic elements intertwined effortlessly by the whole cast, creating totally believable characters and relationships. Although set in the 1960's it most defiantly could be modern times. Although the subject matter, following the lives of seven teachers at a English language school over several years, doesn't sound exciting, its in fact a brilliantly observational piece of theatre. I feel this play is more suited to an older audience, or theatre/acting students, It still worth going if your a theatre fan.

       The set was fantastic. Such a realistic indoor space. The only other indoor space i remember being this realistic on stage was when I went to see Abigail's Party in 2003. The colors in the set a rather muted, all with a brown, green or orange undertone. This not only gives slight warmth to the set, but also is a true representation of the 1960s as this is when the play is set. Although I was sat high up, i still had a good view of most of the stage and so was able to appreciate the hours of work that must have gone into creating it.

       The only real issue I had was with Rowan Atkinson. Don't misunderstand me. He is a fantastical gifted and talented actor and is on top form in this production, however one this annoys me. Bean. Mr Bean to be precise. Rowan has become plagued my Mr Bean, even though he has done so much more during his career. There are points during the play were certain mannerisms of Rowan's acting just scream Mr Bean. I could feel the whole audience react to it.

Defiantly one to see, but you need to be quick as it ends on 13 April and not many seats available. Tickets and Info

No comments:

Post a Comment